Our Lady of the Lake Catholic School (formerly St. Agnes) was founded in 1881. The first faculty was made up of Franciscan Sisters from Joliet, Illinois. In 1883, the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration (FSPA) from Lacrosse, Wisconsin, took over the staffing of the school. Franciscan sisters taught in the school until recently. A Franciscan brother has taught computers and physical education in recent years. The Franciscan spirit and tradition remain as the foundation of the school’s philosophy.
The present elementary building was built in 1957. The junior high building, which houses grades 6-8, and the gym, was formerly part of DePadua High School. In 1967 when the high school closed, a portion of the building was converted for use as the junior high.
In the summer of 1990, Holy Family Parish, which was located at the corner of Willis Avenue and Highway 2, and St. Agnes Parish merged. As a result of that merger, the parish and school names were changed to Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Community and Our Lady of the Lake Catholic School.